Design Internship description Design is kind of a big deal at VSA. But if you’ve…
Creative Design Internship – VSA Partners – New York
Internship job description
You’re a special breed – and not just because you’re a special snowflake. We’re referring to the fact that you’ve got designer chops but you also have a knack for the bigger picture. Some people call this “art direction.” You might call it “a vision.” Whatever it is, we’re looking for a Creative Design intern that can design ideas and not just, you know, design things. (If you fall into the latter category, see our Design Intern position.)
Whether you’re working in Photoshop or stepping in on a photoshoot, you’ll help us craft visual stories that catch people’s (AKA consumer’s) eyes.A little bit about the VSA Summer Internship program: If you’re looking for another bullet point on your resume, look elsewhere. At VSA, like much of what we do, we take our internship program seriously. Which means our interns work on “real work,” with real meetings, deadlines, and business challenges from our brands and clients. This is the education you won’t get in a classroom. Consider it career practice, with the freedom to learn, make mistakes, refine, question and tag along.
You’ll work with an individual mentor and supervisor in a unique cross-disciplinary environment focused on brand/communications, marketing and digital. As part of the larger program, you’ll take part in intern meetings, team outings, activities and initiatives (can you say networking?). And yes, it’s paid, with an hourly rate, for 40 hours/week, on-site. It starts June 5th. Bet you can’t wait for summer.Note: this position is part of VSA’s Creative Practice.
- You will take part in exploration, conceptual and visual development, and execution of design directions.
- You will be crucial in pulling together elements that bring ideas and presentations to life: helping to prepare comps and mood boards; conducting layout and color explorations; scanning; finding stock photography and illustrations; and searching portfolios for style references.
- You will collaborate with Designers and Design Directors, who will guide your work and invest in your growth and development as a designer.
- Your creative team will teach you the fundamentals of print production (creating print specifications, marking up files, releasing jobs to printers, reviewing proofs and attending press checks).
- You’ll learn about art direction of photography and illustration from some of the best in the business.
- We’ll depend on you in the home stretch, making edits to documents and decks.
Apply If You…
- Are currently a junior or senior undergraduate student or recent grad from an accredited university or design school (including portfolio school)
- Have a strong passion for a craft and/or particular area of specialization
- Can demonstrate a clear “point-of-view” relating to your design…and you can articulate it.
- Have the ability to work well in very team-oriented culture, with the drive to fly solo when necessary
- Know Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator inside and out
- Understand how to incorporate and integrate design elements into a larger idea
- Are always being asked to design something for your friends/family/strangers ‘cause you’re so good at it and yet you are still super humble about it ‘cause you’re so cool and you just want to keep pushing your craft ‘cause that’s what it’s all about: the craft